The Grand Motorcycle Tour of South Africa
Duration of tour – 15 days (14 nights) and 13 days motorcycle rental
Rating: Easy Asphalt only
Our South Africa motorcycle tour starts in Johannesburg, the financial heartbeat of Africa. Thirteen days later we ride into Cape Town. After collecting our motorcycles, we travel in an easterly direction to the province of Mpumalanga – meaning “Place of the Rising Sun”. We enjoy a full day safari in the Kruger National Park (21500sq km) in search of the Big 5. Part of the route we ride is known as the Panorama Route and its natural wonders such as the Blyde River Canyon, Gods Window and the potholes at Bourke’s Luck attracts visitors from afar. We explore these and others like the historic mining town, Pilgrims Rest, before we head off to Swaziland.
Traversing the rolling hills of Mpumalanga we ride in a southerly direction towards the Swaziland border for a one night stay in this tiny monarchy. Lake St. Lucia, a world heritage site, welcomes us to Kwa-Zulu Natal, aka the Zulu Kingdom. We bid the coastal plains farewell as we head for the Southern Drakensberg Region. Here we relax for two nights with an optional 4x4 tour of Sani Pass to be enjoyed. This is not for the faint hearted as you ascend the mountains to briefly enter Lesotho. These mountains were named the “Barrier of Spears” by the Zulu’s and the Dragon Mountains by the Voortrekkers respectively. These majestic mountains with their awe-inspiring basalt cliffs are one of South Africa’s listed World Heritage Sites. We continue our journey down south via Mandela Country, or the Transkei as it is still known. This former homeland is where the Xhosa people live and where Nelson Mandela was born and spent his youth. We drive past his house en-route to Cintsa. We spend a night on the rugged Wild Coast before riding into East London. From here we follow the R72 to Port Elizabeth where we Route and it has a variety of activities and things to do. We continue along the Outeniqua Mountains and cross over into the Little Karoo region.
Traversing this vast semi-arid Karoo region by motorcycle, one appreciates the beauty of this arid, sometimes unforgiving, terrain. Our next stop is Oudtshoorn, ostrich capital of the world, and here we visit the Cango Caves and a working ostrich farm. We head for Cape Town along our own Route62 (R62)…but our journey will not be complete without stopping at Ronnie’s Sex Shop. From here we continue along Route 62 through the Breede River Wine Region to the Cape Winelands. Our last days will be spent in Cape Town, the Mother City, where we enjoy the treasures of the Peninsula whilst we prepare for our journey back home. After 14 days of traveling some of the best routes in South Africa we should take some time to reflect back on the experiences we have lived and the memories which we will treasure as we head back home.
Distance to be covered: Total 3810 km and 350 km per day approximately
Rider only R 92 690.00 | Pillion only R 32 200.00
27 Oct 2019
12 Jan 2020 | 13 Sep 2020 | 25 Oct 2020
- Day 1 – Arrive at OR Tambo International Airport and head to Pretoria
- Day 2 – Ride eastwards via Dullstroom to the foot of the Long Tom pass near Sabie (330km)
- Day 3 – Explore the Panorama route and Blyde River Canyon before arriving in Hazyview (300km)
- Day 4 – Enjoy a full day safari in the Kruger National Park (000km)
- Day 5 – Ride to the Swaziland border via Malelane, now known as Eswatini, to spend a night (300km)
- Day 6 – Continue through Eswatini and re-enter SA and head to St. Lucia for a boat ride (360km)
- Day 7 – We bid the coast farewell and head to the Drakensberg Mountains (460km)
- Day 8 – Today is a day at leisure with an optional Sani Pass 4 x 4 tour…not for the fainthearted (000km)
- Day 9 – Leaving the mountains behind we head to Mandela country to enjoy the Wild Coast (500km)
- Day 10 – From Cintsa we head to Addo and meander along the Eastern Cape coast (380km)
- Day 11 – From Addo we head to Knysna via the Tsitsikamma coast and Plettenberg Bay (300km)
- Day 12 – From Knysna we cross the Outeniqua Mountains to Oudtshoorn (200km)
- Day 13 – Our next stop is Cape Town via Route 62, Ronnie’s Sex Shop and the Cape Winelands (480km)
- Day 14 – Our last day on tour and we explore the Cape Peninsula to the Cape of Good Hope (200km)
- Day 15 – Your last day in the city can be enjoyed at your own leisure before heading back home
Important information about the above rates:
- The rate quoted above is a net ratebased on a minimum of six participants. Swartberg Biking reserves the right to cancel any tour if we have not received bookings for the minimum number of participants.
- The above rates are subject to change if any unforeseeable price increase or currency exchange rate occurs.
- The rates quoted above exclude the use of a support vehicle on the above package.
Swartberg Biking Motorcycle Tours is a registered tour operator affiliated with the Southern Africa Tourism Services Association (www.satsa.co.za) and insured with Safari and Tourism Insurance Brokers (www.satib.co.za).
Swartberg Biking is a proud partner in the 2018/19 Rhino Ride awareness campaign, supporting conservation efforts across Southern Africa.